HYIP-Man: Ask HN: DevOps Career Advice for an Oldy
Tuesday, March 05, 2019
Ask HN: DevOps Career Advice for an Oldy
Ask HN: DevOps Career Advice for an Oldy
Hello, I'm a late 30's devops / SRE guy who previously worked as a sysadmin in financial services. Suddenly, the jobs in my area seem to ask for only 5 years of experience of Python, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker and CICD, my salary demands are too high and I'm being interviewed by people in their 20's who think I'm an idiot. I'm struggling with the whole process I have several paths and I was hoping you could pick what YOU would do: A) Continue learning more Python - I'm good but I don't know the math and sorting questions I'm getting asked. Continue with AWS. Take a lower-paying job with folks 15 years younger just so I can pick up Docker, Kubernetes, etc. That's a 30-40K pay decrease in New York. Downside: I have grey hair and I think I'm competing with cheaper people. B) Go independent contractor. I have done this but I am very bad with marketing myself, and my network isn't wide enough to score jobs, so I'm stuck with recruiters. I like this the most but I'm also struggling. Downside: Everything else is perfect, but my marketing skills are 0 after all these years. C) Go management. I've already been a manager on the infra side. I shied away in future roles thinking I preferred hands-on (even though I got accolades as a people person and a well-organized improver of infrastructure). Downside: Narrow job listings to choose from, also weak at marketing. What would you do and why?
more