HYIP-Man: Ask HN: How do you control your diet while working at a tech company?
Friday, April 05, 2019
Ask HN: How do you control your diet while working at a tech company?
Ask HN: How do you control your diet while working at a tech company?
I want to preface this question by saying that I know that those of us who work at tech companies where lots of free food is always readily available are very privileged (and perhaps spoiled...) in having that particular material need satisfied. Also, forgive me if this question has been asked before. That said, I've been working in tech for a while now and every workplace I've been a part of has had basically unlimited junky snack food and provided buffet-style breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I constantly find myself failing to exercise restraint when eating in the office. This happens both through snacking and during meals. Furthermore, most of my meals are with my team, and I often find it extremely difficult to be disciplined about what I eat when the group decides what to eat together. In contrast, during times in my life when I've had to cook every meal for myself, I found it extremely easy to control how many calories I ingested - these times are the only times I've been successful in losing weight. Looking at the eating habits of my colleagues at various companies, I don't think I'm the only one who has experienced this problem, where the high-availability of food and social nature of meals are a constant temptation. I love working where I do, so I don't see this environment changing. For those of you who are able to eat healthy, well-portioned diets (and perhaps even lose weight) while being surrounded by temptation at work, what strategies do you use to practice moderation? And for those of you who have changed your behaviors, how did you do so?
more